We can help you through this difficult process by obtaining the Grant of Probate on your behalf. We will also undertake the collecting and distributing of assets which is known as the administration of the estate.
Applying for the grant only
We will obtain the Grant of Probate for a fixed fee of £1,000.00 plus VAT (£1,200.00). This service is available only where assets do not exceed £325,000.00 and there is no inheritance tax payable.
Applying for the grant, collecting and distributing the assets – full service
We provide a full service for undertaking the administration of the estate in which we will obtain a Grant of Probate, realise the estate assets, settle liabilities and deal with distribution of the estate. The costs of this service will be based on the gross probate value of the estate; our legal fees are between 2-3% of the gross estate. We will be able to give you an estimate of what the fees may be once we discuss the estate with you.
We shall add to our fee the cost of any disbursements. Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees and statutory notices. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
These are currently £155.00 for the court sealed grant plus the necessary copies (£1.50 per copy); we usually obtain a copy for each asset in the estate.
Whilst the cost varies, the average is £250-£350. We shall discuss the need for these when instructed.
The cost is £95.00 plus VAT. We shall advise when this is necessary.
As part of our full service we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents and figures required to make the application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Make the application to the Probate court on your behalf
- Obtain the Probate and supply a copy to you
- Collect and distribute all assets in the estate
- Prepare and supply estate accounts to show all monies received in and paid out
Potential additional costs
Our legal fees may be affected by other factors such as:
- If there is no will or the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could range significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with
- If any disputes arise between beneficiaries or a claim is made against the estate then significant additional costs may be incurred in dealing with such disputes or claims
- If inheritance tax is payable and extensive correspondence with HMRC becomes necessary, for example where values are disputed by HMRC, this may incur additional costs
- Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included, please see our table of conveyancing fees
Get in touch, for more information on how we can help you
The RLK Wills and Probate team
Professional, Efficient, Thorough and a delight to work with. I would recommend this company to anyone.