Grade C Solicitor/Legal Exec in BII Litigation Team
RLK Solicitors is seeking a Grade C Solicitor or Chartered Legal Executive to join their innovative and successful litigation department. The right candidate will work predominantly within the Business Interruption Litigation Team handling insurance claims made following the Covid-19 pandemic. You may occasionally be required to assist with general commercial litigation matters.
The Business Interruption Team was formed a little over 2 ½ years ago when the firm recognised insurers were unfairly rejecting valid claims from their policyholders for losses suffered as a result of closure / interruption caused by the Covid-19 pandemic. Since that time, the firm has gone on to become a market-leading presence dealing with Covid-19 business interruption claims. The firm represents thousands of clients, predominantly consisting of SMEs including hairdressers, salons, restaurants, bars and hotels (for example). Following the landmark FCA Test Case the team continues to assist policyholders with these claims which remain hotly contested. The right candidate joins the firm at an exciting time of growth and at a time when the Covid-19 business interruption world awaits the outcome to key High Court litigation, whilst the firm is preparing to embark upon sizeable and undoubtedly precedent-setting litigation.
Working closely with the Head of Business Interruption Litigation and other senior members of the team, amongst day-to-day tasks, the candidate will be required to complete the following tasks:
- Communication with clients via telephone, email and letter (often at Director and Managerial level).
- Corresponding with opponent insurers, loss adjusters and lawyers via telephone, email and letter.
- Drafting substantive correspondence including detailed updates and advice to clients and also legal arguments to be sent to the opponent.
- Drafting instructions to and liaising with Counsel.
- Review and assessing insurance and legal documentation to extract key information such as details and terms regarding policy coverage (for example).
- Assessing and evaluating loss documentation.
- Calculating and assessing client losses together with preparing loss report/summary documents and handling settlement negotiations with the opposition.
- Drafting Part 36 and Calderbank offers.
- Drafting pleadings and other legal documents.
- Legal research.
The firm is looking for the following individual:
- Grade C Solicitor or Chartered Legal Executive (although applications from the right candidates with more or less experience will be considered).
- Previous experience of civil litigation is essential.
- Previous experience of insurance claims and particularly business interruption claims is desirable but not essential.
- Ability to work well both alone and as part of a team.
- Ability to work to deadlines and/or targets whilst managing and prioritising a mixed and varied caseload.
- Strong organisational and time-management skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong drafting skills.
- Good numerical skills.
- Competitive salary.
- Benefits including pension scheme and cycle to work scheme.
- Industry standard annual leave entitlement.
- Hybrid working with office element based in Birmingham.
- Working hours are 09:00hrs – 17:30hrs.
Please email your cv to email@example.com